We have seen a tremendous growth in the availability of Touch Screen smart phones in the Market.
But someone like me would still want to buy a physical keypad just to do things little fast. I currently Own a Symbian Mobile phone and the reason behind buying a Symbian phone was the availability of a physical keypad in Nokia n97. I had to settle down with it despite of the fact that I wanted to try my hands on Android powered mobile phone.
Well, this was in 2010 but thankfully in 2011, I have seen many Android mobile with physical QWERTY keypads.
If you are like me you surely would take a look at these.
HTC Desire Z
HTC is the best smart phone maker in the market and it makes it more awesome when powered by Android. HTC has given a QWERTY Slider to it this time.
Key Features of HTC Desire Z are:
- 800 MHz Qualcomm MSM 7230 processor;
- 119 x 60.4 x 14.2 mm
- 512MB of Ram, with 1.5 GB onboard memory space with upto 32GB expansion;
- Bluetooth 2.1 and Wi-Fi connectivity;
- On board GPS;
- 3.7 inches capacitive touchscreen;
- 5 Megapixel Camera with LED flash;
- Android 2.2
- And, obviously a slide-out QWERTY slider with four-rows of keys!
Motorola Droid 2
My another Favorite mobile phone manufacturer Motorola has always brought the most advanced mobile phones in the market. It brings Droid 2 with a Physical QWERTY Keypad. This version gets 1.2Ghz processor to make it even faster.
Update: Droid 3 has been launched in July 2011, which has 4.0 inch screen and is Dual-core 1GHz TI OMAP4 processor.
Key Features of Motorola Droid 2 are:
- Size: 60.5 x 116.3 x 13.7 mm ;
- 1.2Ghz processor
- Weight: 169 grams;
- 8GB internal memory plus included 8GB MicroSD memory card;
- 5 megapixel camera with Dual LED Flash and DVD-quality video recording;
- Improved slide-out QWERTY keyboard with larger keys and enhanced tactility;
- 3.7-inch full multi-touch screen display with WVGA (480×854 pixels) resolution;
- 3G Mobile Hotspot functionality (costs additional $20 a month)
Motorola MILESTONE (Droid)
Yet another slider QWERTY based mobile phones from Motorola, which is one of the most thinnest QWERTY Slider phone available in market. Lets you do multi tasking easily with a Android v2.1. It comes with the most advanced Google browser and the very latest software with an advanced processor and 3G speed for faster search.
Key Features of Motorola Milestone are:
- Connectivity : 3G/ Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth
- Weight: 165 g
- Screen Size: 3.7 inches
- 5MP Camera
- Standard battery, Li-Ion 1400 mAh (BP6X)
- CPU: ARM Cortex A8 600 MHz, PowerVR SGX530 graphics
As the name says, it’s QWERTY is at the back of the phone. The difference between Motorola Mile stone and Motorola backflip is the look and Android version, This phones has Android V1.5. (upgradable). The screen is smaller than Motorola Milestone which has 3.7 inch captive screen whereas this phones has 3.1 inch captive screen. When you open the phone there is a track page right behind the keypad which is cool.
Key Features of Motorola Backflip are:
- 528 MHz ARM 11 processor, Adreno 130 GPU, Qualcomm MSM7201A chipset.
- Size 108 x 53 x 15.3 mm
- Weight: 133 g
- Internal Memory: 256MB RAM, 512MB ROM
- Camera: 5 MP, 2560 x 1920 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
- 3.1 inches Captive Screen
- Standard battery, Li-Ion 1400 mAh gives a Talk time of 6 h (315 h on standby)
Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro Mini
A very cute yet powerful android phone from Sony Ericson, measures 90 x 52 x 17 mm, weighs 120 grams, and sports a 2.55 TFT scratch-resistant touchscreen of QVGA resolution, and is powered by a 600MHz Qualcomm CPU, and comes with a high resolution 5 MP camera with auto focus and geo-tagging.
Key Features of Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro mini are:
- Android OS 1.6 (upgradable to v2.1)
- 5 MP Camera and Records videos of VGA @30fps.
- Connectivity : 3G HSPA\Wi-Fi\EDGE’\GPRS\Bluetooth
- 600 MHz Processor
- Internal Memory: 128 MB ( upgradable up to 16GB)
Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro
Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro is a beautiful smart phone with heavy on performance. Unlike other phones in the Xperia series, this phone has Android v2.3 and has a great User Interface.
Key Features of Sony Xperia Pro are:
- Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon 1 GHz processor
- 3.7 Inch Screen
- Size: 120 x 57 x 13.5 mm ;
- Weight: 135 grams;
- 1GB internal memory plus microSD upto 32 GB;
- 8 Megapixel Primary camera with autofocus and LED flash;
- Touch focus, image stabilization, geo-tagging, face and smile detection;
- Also has a microUSBv2.0 and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, DLNA
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread
Samsung Epic 4G
Samsun Epic can easily be choice as a Physical keypad based Android phone. Everything is same as the Galaxy S series. It comes with Android v2.1 which can be upgraded.
Key Features of Samsung Epic 4G are:
- 1GHz Hummingbird processor common to both Galaxy S and Wave.
- Front Facing Camera for video conferencing
- 5 Megapixel Camera with 720p video recording
- 4 inch WVGA (480×800) capacitive Super AMOLED touch display
- 1GB of Memory
- 512MB RAM
- Additional memory of up to 32GB via microSD
In Plain English, Motorola Flipout is definitely not a powerful phone but made it to this list because of its design and popularity. This is the cutest Android phone available. It has a 2.8 inch captive screen which is quite ok, if you are not planning to watch videos etc. 3.1 mega pixel Camera which can click decent photos.
Key Features of Motorola Flipout are:
- 600MHz Cortex-A8 processor, PowerVR SGX530 GPU, TI OMAP3410 chipset
- Android OS v2.1 (Éclair)
- Size 2.8 Inch Screen and Weighs 120g only.
- Internal Memory : 512MB RAM x 512MB ROM ( supports upto 32GB Card)
- Li-Ion 1170 mAh gives Talk time of 6h(2G)/4h(3g) (365h on Standby Mode)
- 3 MP (with Kodak Perfect Touch)
- Connectivity: 3G HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA 2.0 Mbps/ Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth 2.1
Samsung Galaxy 551 I5510
Another Android phone from Galaxy series, but this one comes with a physical slider QWERTY Keypad. It runs Android V2.2 with a CPU of 667Mhz processors. And yes, the Battery life is good with 1200mAh.
Key Features of Samsung Galaxy 551 I5510 are:
- 600 MHz processor, Adreno 200 GPU, Qualcomm MSM7227 chipset.
- Slide With QWERTY Keyboard And Touchscreen
- Screen Size: 3.2 inch and Weighs 156g
- 3.15 MP Camera With Video Recording
- Integrated Social Networking Tools Including Gtalk
- Battery: 1200mAh gives 9h (2g) 5h(3G) ( Standby of 520h)
- Android OS, v2.2 (Froyo)
- Internal Memory: 160MB ( supports up to 32GB card)
Acer beTouch E130
Acer has this sleek Candy bar type mobile phone with physical keypad. The only thing which made it to this list is that, it runs on Android. Android v1.6 (Donut) to be more specific. Certainly a target to consumers who want affordable mobiles phones.
The Key features of Acer beTouch E130 are:
- 416 MHz processor, ST Ericsson PNX6715 chipset
- Android OS, v1.6 (Donut)
- 3.2 MP Camera
- Google Cloud Sync Support
- Microsoft Office/ Roadsync & Pushmail Support
- Integrated Social Networking With Acer Widgets
These were the 10 best QWERTY Enabled Android phones in the market. But looking at the fast growth of technology in Mobile Phone industry, we will see a variety of mobile phones available in the market. Here are Top Android phones in the market (without physical qwerty keypads).